Lasagna was one of my favorite meals growing up. You can probably find healthier vegan lasagna recipes, but I like this one because it reminds me of the one I grew up with. And, the vegan version is definitely a bit healthier!
- 1 tbsp cooking oil of choice or water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 jars marinara sauce
- 1 bag of Gardein beef-less crumbles
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 block extra firm tofu (make sure the water has been pressed out)
- 1 package frozen spinach (thaw by putting in refrigerator the night before)
- splash of soy milk
- salt to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles
- vegan cheese (I used the Daiya Mozzarella shreds)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion in oil until lightly browned. Add the 1 1/2 jars of marinara sauce. Add the beef-less crumbles and cook until just heated through. Set aside.
- To make the tofu ricotta, mix the lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast and garlic powder in a bowl. Crumble in the tofu and mix well to combine. Add the thawed spinach and stir well. Add a splash of soy milk if it is too dry and add salt to taste.
- Cook the noodles according to the package and drain.
- Spread some of the sauce reserved from that 1/2 of the jar on the bottom of a 9×13 glass casserole dish.
- Arrange and layer 4 noodles (overlap them), sauce, tofu ricotta, vegan cheese and repeat. I was able to do 3 layers of noodles and 2 layers of the tofu ricotta. The last layer will be noodles, sauce and the vegan cheese on top. Be sure to cover all noodles in sauce or else they will dry out while baking.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered.
*recipe adapted from https://thevietvegan.com/vegan-lasagna-spinach-tofu-ricotta/