In my travels, I found that having the following information in my journal was very helpful:
- Contact details of the nearest U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate
- They are helpful if you have lost your passport, need to evacuate, get injured or sick or need help with your visa. They can also provide security and travel information.
- Important phone numbers including the country emergency number
- Temperature conversions and weight conversions
- Almost all countries use the metric system. I found it helpful knowing that 0 degrees Celsius is 32 degrees Farenheit and 30 degrees Celcius is 86 degrees Farenheit.
- Values of the coins and notes and exchange rate
- For example New Zealand coins have values of 10, 20 and 50 cents, $1 and $2. Notes have values of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. It was also helpful to note that at the time 1 NZ dollar was equivalent to US .65.
- Directions to hostels, hotels and campgrounds.
- Flight information.
- Basic words and expressions in the local language.
- It was helpful to know the words for no, yes, thank you, hello, bye, I’m sorry, please, numbers 1-10, and how much is this?