1. Make it the same time every day. I work out when I get home from work. I get dressed in my workout clothes, turn on the television which is usually Ellen and workout. I am working out 25 minutes for 6 days a week. Mornings are also a great time to work out. It only takes a couple of weeks for a routine to become ingrained.
2. Start small and work your way up. Start by exercising 10 minutes every day. Add 5 minutes per week. If you start out too big your chances of staying with your workout routine are low.
3. Do a variety of exercises. I combine pilates, yoga and weight lifting.
4. Do workouts that are fun. I sometimes get DVD’s at the library such as pilates, yoga, zumba, etc. and follow along. Do what you like to do. If you are not having fun you will not stick with your workout routine.
5. Watch television or listen to music while working out.
6. Focus on one habit at a time. Don’t over commit. You will be overwhelmed. You will have a higher success rate if you stick to one habit at a time.
7. Don’t expect results in a short amount of time. It is not realistic to lose 30 pounds in a month and get washboard abs. Be patient. Results will happen.
8. Workout with friends or join a fitness class at your gym. Working out with friends is great because you can motivate each other and help each other stick to a routine.