Do you know why they tell you not to swallow toothpaste? Because there are so many chemicals that it is unsafe to swallow. Should we really be putting this in our mouths? Some of the ingredients in toothpaste have been proven to be linked to the development of breast cancer and damage to the gums and skin. Lucky for you, there are some great alternatives:
1. Tom’s of Maine: In this toothpaste, flavor oils take the place of artificial sweeteners. Silica is used instead of bleach. This company uses renewable energy, implements green practices in its factory, and packages products with recycled, sustainable materials. Their toothpastes come in 100% aluminum tubes, not plastic.
2. Sea Fresh Plus Toothpaste from Jason Natural Products: This toothpaste uses natural ingredients such as sea salts, minerals, bamboo powder, and grapefruit sea extract. The company has found a replacement for synthetic ingredients found in conventional toothpastes. There is no animal testing.
3. Peelu Toothpaste: This toothpaste contains natural flavors and no sweetener. There is no animal testing nor are there animal products in the toothpaste. They use fibers from the peelu plant which makes for a non-abrasive cleaner.
4. Sensitive Aloe Vera Toothpaste From Kiss My Face: The aloe in this toothpaste soothes teeth and gums. Instead of using artificial ingredients, they use olive leaf extract, Iceland moss and tea tree oil.
5. Natural Toothpaste from Nature’s Gate: This toothpaste uses bamboo powder, stevia extracts, silica, baking soda and other natural ingredients. Flavorings come from oils and extracts instead of artificial chemicals. The company supports WaterAid to help provide clean water to Africa and Asia.
7. Herbal Choice: They don’t test their pastes on animals. They use 100% recyclable packaging. The toothpaste contains organic ingredients, and is chemical, additive, and paraben free.
Make Your Own Toothpaste!!!
The greenest toothpaste is homemade. You don’t waste as much packaging and it costs less.
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt (finely ground)
1 drop peppermint, spearmint, sweet orange, clove, or cinnamon bark essential oil
A few drops of water
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix them thoroughly with a toothbrush, your finger, or a small spoon until a smooth, thick paste forms. The paste shouldn’t be too runny. Dip your toothbrush into the paste and use as you would regular commercial toothpaste.