- Nearly 1/3 of the land surface of the planet is dedicated to livestock.
- Animal waste seeps into rivers, lakes, and oceans killing wildlife and polluting air, water, and land in ways devastating to human health.
- Farmed animals in the US produce 130 times as much waste as the human population.
- Livestock are responsible for 18% of greenhouse emissions measured in CO2 equivalent.
- Livestock are responsible for almost two-thirds of anthropogenic ammonia emissions which contribute significantly to acid rain and acidification of eco systems.
- Livestock accounts for over 8% of gloval human water use.
- Expansion of livestock production is a key factor in deforestation.
Facts from “Eating Animals” and “Vegan Outreach”Facts from “Eating Animals” and “Vegan Outreach”